Friday, March 1, 2019

Just Diagnosed - Questions for your doctor



After receiving your diagnosis (Alzheimer's), it's normal to leave your doctor's office unsure of what questions to ask. You just received life-changing news, and you need time to absorb this information and understand what it means for you and your family.

Your doctor is an important member of your care team. Use the opportunity to ask your doctor questions about your diagnosis, all the available options, and the benefits and risks of each choice you make.

You may be asking: "How do I know what to ask my doctor?"

Members of our Alzheimer's Association National Early-Stage Advisory Group have shared their own experiences and questions they wish they had asked their doctors. You may find this information helpful as you develop your own list of questions.

Here are some example questions:

The diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease
  1. What test(s) or tools did you use to determine my diagnosis?
  2. What are you measuring with the tests you performed?

Alzheimer's disease
  1. How will the disease progress?
  2. What can I expect in the future?

Treatments
  1. What treatment options are available?
  2. Which symptoms are being targeted by each medication?

Clinical trials
  1. What clinical trials are available?
  2. Where can I find published information about clinical treatment studies?

Care team
  1. How familiar are you with Alzheimer's disease? Will you be managing my care going forward?
  2. If I need to be hospitalized, will you be able to provide care in this setting?

Care and support
  1. What resources are available to help me learn more about my diagnosis? My family?
  2. What support services are available to help me live well with the disease, for as long as possible?

No comments:

Post a Comment